Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Japan - Day 3 - Hakone

After breakfast in Tokyo, a couple of train rides and a funicular, we arrived at Gora Hanaougi, a ryokan (a Japanese traditional inn), for a relaxing day and evening.
We had a private onsen bath on our terrace (so I could go in - tattoos are a no no in the public baths, which is fine by me as it gets me out of bathing nude with strangers!). Brian (who approved this photo) thought it was a bit hot - so we added in some cold water.
We donned our provided jammies and wandered downstairs for dinner. We had a private little room for our twelve course meal. You could hear other diners but it was pretty quiet so we whispered our way through the almost three-hour meal. A lot of the items were good, some were strange, but we got through it all - the sashimi and the dessert fruit were the best!
At breakfast, my resolve to try everything was tested by not having a menu of what was laid out before us, like we'd had at dinner. Having grown up a fairly picky eater - my parents referred to sweet potatoes as "sweet treats" due to my deep hatred of potatoes - I think I have grown more adventurous, as this blog can attest. However, there's just something about breakfast for me - I just like some coffee and something simple. I did try most of the things but it was an experience!
Loving this giant, soft cotton robe with a fancy sash - and hoping I can find one to bring home!

9 comments:

  1. I think we are just going to be following everything you guys do when we leave in 2 days.

    -Derek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are welcome to, there is lots more fun to come!

      Delete
  2. So you're a pink belt?? I could take ya...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only at a ryokan, I return to my samurai self outside in the wild.

      Delete
  3. So you're a pink belt?? I could take ya...

    ReplyDelete