Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Japan - Day 1 - Tokyo

If you're anything like me, you like to ease into your new surroundings with a little bit of home. Our first morning in Tokyo, we headed to Bill's, an Australian restaurant known for these little beauties right here - the ricotta pancakes with bananas. They were completely gone in ten minutes flat and boy were they good!
After breakfast, we headed to Miraikan, the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (I know, we're nerds). The museum was a live research lab and the exhibits collected data (with your consent) to help inform projects their researchers were working on. Brian and I both were interviewed by three little robots about robots providing elder care and whether robots should have rights. The highlight of the morning was a demonstration of Honda's Asimo robot, pictured, that can jump, run, kick a soccer ball and even sign to music. 
After the museum, we went to Hama-rikyu Gardens for a stroll by the tea houses.
At the tea house, we had matcha tea and this sweet, which was beautiful to look at. For those unfamiliar, the tea tastes just like it has 137 times more antioxidants than regularly brewed green tea. Good job tea!
After a stroll around the park (where most plants and flowers were out of season, except for these), we walked to a ramen place for lunch. Most ramen places aren't vegetarian so I just had some steamed veggies and failed to get a photo of Brian slurping his noodles, which he has been practicing just for the trip. After lunch we walked around a fancy shopping area and headed back to our Airbnb.
We decided to try a Thai restaurant right around the corner from where we are staying. I had shrimp pad thai, I think, and a Coke. I always love a Coke away from home, especially when I am trying to stay awake past 7pm to get on a new time zone. Speaking of which, I think it's time to sign off and get some rest!

2 comments:

  1. These photos are great! I'm off to Tokyo in December, beyond excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalia. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

      Delete