Saturday, July 23, 2016

A few good meals in Arlington

A quick trip to the D.C. area for work called for a few meals along the way, of course. We landed and headed for lunch in Arlington, VA at Kapnos Taverna, the chef was on Top Chef, Season 6. I had this amazing king salmon tartar with grilled avocado, cucumber, romaine and harissa vinaigrette.
A light, healthy lunch called for a cupcake and iced latte at Buzz Bakeshop, and the wifi to work our way through the afternoon. The smores cupcake looked so good and then I discovered it was full of fluffy marshmallow cream, so yummy!
After work, we walked to Water & Wall for a hand-crafted cocktail and some dinner. I had this interesting and delicious cocktail - The Oaxacan Dead (mezcal, grapefruit, ipa syrup, poblano, draft beer.
Since the weather has been so hot in KC and DC, a light and refreshing dinner of gazpacho and a tomato (cucumber, asian pear, yogurt, habanero, roasted corn) and watermelon salad with creme fraiche sounded perfect, and they were.
This summer has been a bit hectic, but it has inspired me with flavors - mostly making their way into homemade cocktails. I'm trying to eat at home, when I am home, which means I eat mostly fruits and veggies that are so fresh, they barely need any preparation. What have you been eating and cooking this summer? I'd love to hear and might even share a recipe or two that I've been enjoying in an upcoming post. Hope you're staying cool, wherever you are!

1 comment: