Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Napa - Day 3

Okay, technically this was the end of Day 2, but I was saving this for today's post. On my birthday eve, we ate at Morimoto - Napa. If you are a scholar of my blog (which I realize is probably just me), you may remember another post about the original Iron Chef's restaurant in Mumbai a year and a half ago, you can read it here. I love Japanese food, so when I saw that he had a new restaurant in Napa, I had to try it and share it with Brian, who wasn't there the first time.

This meal, although very different from my first experience, was very good and laid back. We had delicious cocktails (I traded Brian for his - I like whiskey, what can I say?), yummy himachi tacos, a tempura calamari and quinoa salad, amazing sashimi - yellowtail, o-toro tuna, and salmon, and a trio of light sorbets - lavender peach, plum, and raspberry basil.
For my birthday breakfast, we headed back downtown to Model Bakery, which has the cutest sign of succulents (don't you think?). My veggie breakfast sandwich was to die for, as was my Blue Bottle Coffee latte and a shared cinnamon twist. Definitely a "must visit" if you're in Napa.
The last stop on our Napa adventure was the organic, dry vineyard, Frog's Leap Winery. I wanted to move into the house that was built for tastings, offices and retail - it was like walking into a Restoration Hardware, only a house version. We had a lovely tour guide who told us about all the thoughtful ways the owner takes care of and celebrates the staff. The owner's dog walked the tour route with us as we tasted five wines along the way.

Since they don't water the grapes, they are smaller and the wine produced is very drinkable. The best part about this place is that they distribute to all 50 states in the U.S., so we can all buy a bottle, or two. They have a lovely chardonnay, which is only aged in oak barrels for 7-10 days and has a very light oak flavor. Thanks for checking out my latest adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment