Sunday, June 7, 2015

Downtown Springfield

We spent 24 hours in Springfield, MO this weekend, celebrating my father-in-law's ordination (the last step in a long process of becoming a Methodist minister). Although we weren't there long, we managed to hit up a few great places that I thought I would share here, in case you find yourself down there soon. Only a 2-ish hour drive from KC, this college town has a great, walkable downtown to explore.

We ate lunch at a place called Bambino's Cafe, voted best Italian food in Springfield. (Full disclosure, I stole this photo from their website.) It's set back in a neighborhood, so it's a little hard to find. Although I didn't take any photos, I had a delicious antipasto salad with shrimp.
After lunch, we were feeling a little sluggish, so we headed to Mudhouse Coffee for a pick-me-up. I had a peanut butter mud puddle (frozen mocha with real PB) with an extra shot - amazingly delicious! Afterwards, we spent some time with the family in a park and at Bass Pro before the evening's ceremony.
In the morning, we stopped by Hurts Donut (because you have to love the whimsy, if not the donuts). I went with a Andes mint chocolate donut (bottom right), although there were plenty of others to choose from including a bacon longjohn. We stayed with Brian's brother (pictured far right) and drove Brian's granny down from KC (pictured middle). The donut was good but probably not the most balanced breakfast.
Our final stop, before we headed home, was The Coffee Ethic. I had a delicious latte that tempered the sweetness of my donut a bit. In all it was a great trip full of family and I look forward to returning and exploring further. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment