Saturday, July 5, 2014

Scouting Sedona - Day 3

We woke up the morning of July 4th to a basket full of patriotic breakfast. After a yummy bite to eat, I used the working payphone to call and say 'hi' to my parents. Because there is limited cell phone signal in the area, the owners keep the pay phone on with free calls to anywhere in the US, no coins needed.
I've shared this before, but I love using Yelp when I'm looking for a great place to eat, especially when I'm away from home. It always helps me find the best, local places that I would've never found on my own. I was excited to find a raved about, hot dog stand called Simon's Hot Dogs inside a brewery, mostly because they serve vegan, veggie and beef hot dogs. I ordered the traditional Colombian style with a veggie dog - pineapple, cheese and crushed potato chips - it was so delicious. Once you've ordered your food, you sit inside the brewery where there is a little bar and a big television. Since the Colombia/Brazil World Cup game was on, we stayed to route on Colombia (Brian is watching and couldn't pose for a head-on photo).
After lunch, it was time to check into L'Auberge de Sedona, where we had decided to celebrate our anniversary early. The top photo is of the tent that we had our creekside massages under - taking photos during a massage is awkward - and when I walked back after getting dressed, everything was already cleaned up. The other photos are of our room and the fancy sign/waterfall that is outside the lodge we're in.
Our creekside dinner got rained out, but the food tasted just as good inside. My meal was as follows (from bottom left, clockwise): dungeness crab crepe with roasted tomato, fennel, butter-braised shitake; goats crème with cherries, watercress, basil, rye milk jam poached new potato; smoked Scottish salmon with buttered peas, grapefruit, fennel bulb, roasted baby beets; and a chocolate gateaux named after the pastry chef with a salted wafer and sea-salt caramel sauce. The food was very good and we left full and satisfied. Happy 13 years, Brian Beard!

No comments:

Post a Comment