Sunday, December 2, 2012

Home for the Holiday

This Thanksgiving, I really wanted to continue our new tradition of going away for the holiday. Since Brian's family lives close and I usually get to see my family at Christmas, it makes sense to spend the bonus time off of work off somewhere exploring. This year, Brian wanted to stay home and, as much as I hate to admit it, my plans of Bermuda were not very practical with my present work/school load. So we stayed put. Brian decided to make it a hybrid holiday and we did a little family time and getting away in our own city.

We spent two nights at the art deco hotel, Hotel Phillips in downtown Kansas City. The room was nice and they had cable, so I was happy just sitting on the couch watching some HGTV. It's certainly been awhile since I was able to just kick back and relax.
After a delicious breakfast at Room 39, Brian sent me off to spend the day at The Spa at Briarcliff Village. I had a massage, facial, manicure, pedicure and a soak in these three tubs (all different temperatures.) It was a pretty nice way to spend a day off of work and school.
After a relaxing day, we had dinner at Aixois Brasserie. I had a delicious beet salad, the filet of salmon and this amazing pot de creme au chocolate. Yum! I also had a French 75 (champagne, Beefeater gin, simple syrup, and lemon twist). Okay, two of those.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and are moving into a lovely holiday season! My parents are coming from Maine to join us for Christmas, so more Kansas City adventures to come soon. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jenn
    Thanks for relaxing with us during your time off from your busy schedule! We're glad you enjoyed your stay.
    Next time you need a local break please don't hesitate to contact me directly to make arrangements for you!
    Blaine Proctor
    Director of Sales & Marketing
    816-346-4400
    blaineproctor@hotelphillips.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your travel blog. So glad your mom turned me on to it. Your life is so amazing. !!����

    ReplyDelete