Monday, July 30, 2012

Vancouver Vittles

For my birthday dinner, I chose Ki (in the Shangri La Hotel). It was chic but laid-back and the food was delicious. We had spicy edamame (not pictured), the creamy miso chowder (which I ate too fast to take a photo, oops), the kiwi-tuna roll, the toro tower, the spicy avocado roll and the flour-less chocolate torte. Yum!
The next day we decided to check out South Granville, noted in guidebooks and websites for good shopping. I found a few ways to spend my birthday money and then we had lunch at Rangoli which was excellent - and saying a lot from someone who isn't the biggest Indian food fan ever. The restaurant is also a market and they sell many of their dishes as prepared, frozen meals. I had the black chickpea and onion cakes with vegetable rice pilaf (left) and Brian had the chickpeas in curry on a bed of marinated eggplant (right).
While little markets and shops abound in the Gastown neighborhood, where we stayed, none had the artistic beauty of the farmer's market in Old Faithful Shop.
Sunday nights bring out the jazz trios in Gastown. We opted for listening in on the musicians at the Pourhouse, along with some drinks and dinner. I had a yummy beet salad and Brian had the steel head trout with the most amazing gnocchi in brown butter.
That's about all the food news from our trip, outside of tonight. We're headed off to a long-table dinner at The Irish Heather where we will rub elbows with all the locals before we head back to the States tomorrow. All good things must come to an end, I guess, but I wish we could take this weather with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment