Sunday, March 18, 2012

Planning Ahead

I am going to D.C. the day after tomorrow. In addition to being excited about the Cherry Blossom Festival and World Water Day festivities, which includes my first time on Capitol Hill, I have also researched a few other places I want to check out. Not surprisingly, they mostly involve food. However, I figured with the added stress of public transportation, the least I could do for myself was map out my meals in advance. (And yes, they are mostly within walking distance of where I will be.) Here's what's in store:

1.) Since I will be coming in early on Tuesday (9:30am), I expect I will need coffee, a place to work before I can check into my Bed and Breakfast*, and some free wifi. The solution to these needs will be Pound the Hill which, according to reviews, is famous for putting Nutella in things. I can deal with that.
2.) Depending on how much work I have on Tuesday, I may have time to slip off to the Newseum in between cherry blossom peeping. The Newseum is a "250,000-square-foot museum of news - offers visitors an experience that blends five centuries of news history with up-to-the-second technology and hands-on exhibits." If I don't make it this trip, I will definitely put it on my agenda for next month when I return to DC with my graduate class.
3.) On Tuesday evening I am going to meet up with some of my dear KC friends who are living in Baltimore for a year and have two of the cutest little girls ever. I figured we might check out seventhHill Pizza - after all, they import their pizza stones from France and who doesn't love pizza. Yum!
4.) On Wednesday I will be attending five learning sessions on water and sanitation. I think breakfast and lunch will be covered during that time, but figured that after a long day it would be nice to unwind with an amazing meal and a good drink. Cava Mezze looked like it could fit the bill.
5.) On Thursday I will wear a suit and attend meetings with Congressmen and women to garner their support for the Water for the World Act. Knowing myself the way I do, I know that I will be super nervous about the day and will want some comfort food to start off on the right foot. When I read that Ted's Bulletin served breakfast near where I am staying and makes poptarts from scratch I knew that was the place I should go.
I am sure other gems will sneak in along the way, but I also know it's only a three-day trip. If you have a burning suggestion please feel free to leave a comment. Thanks for stopping in!

*After a ridiculous amount of research, and a limited budget, I finally found affordable places to stay in DC. Using a bed and breakfast website, I found a reasonably priced, convenient place to stay near Capitol Hill. I had considered a hostel briefly but the reviews varied too widely for my taste.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet, I love that you have planned this all out - and SeventhHill sounds great. Also, we have reservations for Ted's Bulletin on Thursday night when my parents are here - how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. That pizza looks great.

    ReplyDelete