Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bonus

I love when you plan a trip and then discover that you are putting yourself in the right place at the right time to experience something extra that you hadn't planned. I don't usually have impeccable timing and often show up to find I have missed out on something that ended the day before I rolled into town, so I was pretty stoked when I went to the U.S. Post Office the other day and came across their new commemorative stamp:
The poster got me to thinking that I always wanted to see the Cherry Blossom Festival and the cherry blossom trees in D.C., but my timing of trips in the past had always been off. When I got home from the Post Office, I looked up the festival dates to find that it starts on March 20th, the day I get into town to attend some events for World Water Day. In order to keep track of everything, they have an app to guide you through events, news, food and other info you might need to know about throughout the celebration (March 20-April 27).

This year will also commemorate the centennial celebration of the gift of 3,000 cherry blossom trees from Japan and the friendship between our countries. I think it will be a great way to officially kick off spring. Any hints on things not to miss during the festival? Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to see the cherry blossoms! It's going to be beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it, I just hope I'm not too early for the full blooms. There is a cruise you can take to see the trees from the river, I might check that out if I have time. Hope you're doing well, I've been keeping up with your adventures on Twitter!

      Delete