Saturday, February 4, 2012

Back in Maine

Maine in the winter, to many people, may sound like a bad time to visit. Snow on the ground, cold air blowing, streets frozen, etc. However, if winter is going to be cold, you might as well be in a place that understands how to cope with the shorter days of the year. I came up for a variety of reasons this weekend and on my first day experienced a few:

Our first stop after the airport was for lunch at Anjon's (next to a marsh, which was frozen over). Two lobster rolls for $10, what a deal! And as you might remember from this post, these are the correct version of lobster rolls, as well.

My mom and I visited Soakology a couple of years ago and I have wanted to go back ever since. This trip, we made appointments for my first day of the trip in order to help me relax for the weekend. We had the "Maine Woodsman Remedy" which was a foot soak with reflexology. I'm not sure what it had to do with men in the woods, but it was wicked nice.

Right around the corner from Soakology is Foley's Irish bakery where Brian and I had gotten our wedding cake, 10+ years ago. I was so excited when I saw it, because it had closed and re-opened just recently. I wanted to buy the top of a wedding cake to recreate the one that we'd had to eat only two weeks after our wedding (instead of the requisite one-year anniversary) due to our cross-country move to California following the wedding. I'm not sure I could fit it in my bag though, so I ate a brownie instead.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, those lobster rolls look delicious - and I'd that price, I could eat a dozen (well, I may be exaggerating a little...). I agree about going to places that know how to deal with the cold, too. There's nothing worse than being in a place like Texas during a blizzard - no one can drive and the roads never get plowed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachel, yes, the lobster rolls could be eaten by the dozen. I could've polished off four at least but I stuck with two, had to leave room for whoopie pies later after all! Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete