Monday, January 2, 2012

Resoluted

I don't normally make New Years' resolutions. Since I find myself always trying new things and trying to get better at other things, I think setting time-frames on such goals is too oppressive. However, I know there is huge payoff for writing down goals, even without any idea when they might actually be accomplished. Last year, after reading the book The 4-Hour Workweek, I wrote down some goals on a Dreamlining sheet on my trip to Liberia and thought nothing of it. Then, a year later, I looked back at it and realized that a lot of my goals had been realized, even the ones that seemed far-fetched like quitting my old job and working where I currently am working.

This year, short of writing down a bunch of giant goals and seeing what happens, I want to focus on one thing:  failing better. As a competitive perfectionist I have a hard time dealing with my own screw-ups. I am not always reasonable with myself when I make mistakes. I somehow think I should've/could've peered into the future and known better. I know that doesn't even make sense, but I do it and then beat myself up afterwards for whatever I didn't do correctly.

The funniest thing about all of my failures is that I somehow think that they shouldn't happen to me because I try so hard not to mess up. But, I'm human. I know people, and I, do things they didn't mean to do and the world keeps turning. Mistakes are things to learn from and we all need to deal with them in a way that is reasonable. Need to remember that this year, it will make me a lot nicer to me. Thanks for checking in and I hope you have a very happy 2012!   

2 comments:

  1. Great advice Jenn. Have you ever heard of failing forward? As long as we learn from our mistakes and try not to repeat them we are making progress, Life is truly an adventure to embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Failing better." I love the phrase you used and I hope I remember it as needed.

    ReplyDelete