Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Winter Break


So, as of yesterday morning, I am the proud owner of a plane ticket to Haiti! I am going to a village in the mountains with my friend Morée from dLO Water and a group from an organization called Living Waters for the World. We are going to be working on installing some water filtration systems with the community members from a village near Santilus, Haiti. I am also going to help Morée get some video and still camera footage of the project, the people and the landscape of Haiti.

In addition to the 2010 earthquake, Haiti deals with the problems that come with being the poorest country in the Americas. The people of Haiti hava endured years of political, economic and human rights turmoil that have made life there extremely challenging. Haiti ranks as number 158 out of 187 on the Human Development Index. The Human Development Index is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education and standards of living for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. The people of Haiti deserve access to the same things that we sometimes take for granted, like a clean drink of water and I look forward to seeing how that becomes possible.

It's been almost a year since my trip to Liberia and I look forward to another radical cultural immersion experience. I am excited and nervous, as I don't know what all to expect, but I know that it will be a great way to spend part of my break between semesters. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is exciting, Jenn! This trip will leave an impact on you for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deric, I assume it will happen around the time you are leaving for Morocco. Can't wait to hear all about that adventure!

    ReplyDelete