Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankfulness

Thanksgiving is a bit of a cliché time to share what you're thankful for, since we have things to be thankful for all the time. However, I'll concede that it is better to do it once a year than not at all. I have a lot of things on my list of things I am thankful for but I like the simple ones the best. Being able to read and write - this page, a book, a grant proposal, a letter from a friend, etc. Most of us do this all the time, but just imagine for a moment what you would do if you couldn't read and write...blows my mind.

I am thankful for the clean air I breathe, the toilet I have to use and the safe water that I drink. These things are just there for me but that is certainly not the case for many people around the world. The clothes on my back, the food in my stomach and the shoes on my feet. They keep me warm and healthy and are far more plentiful for me than millions of others on the planet. A little while back I blogged about a contest that was going on for the founder of TOMS, Blake Mycoskie's book - Start Something That Matters.

So, I won two free copies of the book - one to read and one to give away - which follows TOMS model of buy one pair of shoes or sunglasses and a pair of shoes or sight is given away. If you are unfamiliar with TOMS you need to be, this social enterprise is doing some pretty big things. I saw Blake speak at SXSW last year and really enjoyed hearing about how he started up his business. The book also highlights several other businesses that are working to solve social issues through good business models.

Now for the giveaway! In addition to giving away a copy of the book I am also throwing in a $20 gift certificate to the TOMS website in celebration of my thankfulness of you and so you can start giving back through the purchase of something TOMS-related. All you need to do is leave a comment and share what you are most thankful for. The drawing will take place on the night of Sunday, November 27th, so enter now and have a Happy Thanksgiving (for my U.S. readers)!

12 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if being the first to comment will be "unlucky." But here goes.... I'm entering! Marta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for a nice home to live in...and nice friends with contests to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for getting to see a silly movie with you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful for my best friend and my puppies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. after moving away to a completely new place, totally thankful to have family/friends to come home to who know and love me.

    also here is a link to my friend's company's website...it goes along with the TOMS idea except with multivitams and it was born right in KC! its pretty legit. http://www.life-equals.com/

    hope you are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenn-
    I'm very thankful to have wonderful family and friends and good health. We have so much to be thankful for! Great giveaway. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pick me! I am thankful for new mercy every morning. And friends who have red hair and love me even when I haven't called them back this week like I planned to do for REAL. [texting you now]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm Thankful for getting the chance to be a mother, my mom makes so much more sense now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So thankful for time to read your blog and veg today...and possibly a nap later. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thankful for a husband that I can be best friends with and the security I feel in the unconditional love he shows me everyday! I sort of hope I dont' win this time because I'd really love to win a future couples trip with you and Brian and this winning would probably greatly diminish the chances I have of winning in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thankful for my wonderful family, Jerry , Mark, You and Brian. I am thankful for our hot shower, something I didn't have as a kid.Many other things that God has given me.(Lorna Tipton)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thankful for my life! I love my family, my friends, my church, my job, everything!!

    ReplyDelete