Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Making Memories

My dad and I all ready for some backpacking, circa 1992.
Vacations in my household growing up centered mostly around camping. We camped as a family but my dad also took my brother and I separately on backpacking weekends about every other year. We would hike up a mountain we'd been looking at on a map for months, bringing along everything we'd need on our backs. The kid left behind on these trips got to have time with my mom - shopping, eating dessert for dinner, watching movies past our bed-time, etc. It was a good deal either way.

As I got into high school I started working, dating, playing tennis, etc. and those trips started to fade away. We still did things as a family, but weekends were busy. When I was in college my dad and I started talking about taking a backpacking trip around Europe as my graduation present. We never made any finite plans but we always talked about it like it was going to happen. My dad even bought me the backpack for it for one of my birthdays leading up to the trip. And then, I met my husband and the plans changed to paying for a wedding instead of a trip and we never went.

Brian and I moved to California right after the wedding, and then on to Kansas City shortly after that. My parents still live in Maine. I get to see them about once or twice a year, which is great, but it's hard to fit in a lot of quality time when you're trying to see all your relatives at once. My mom and I have gone on a couple of trips together over the past few years - a Mediterranean cruise, a road-trip from Maine to Kansas City and back to Maine, a work trip I flew my mom down for - but my dad is usually working.

I started thinking about all this over the weekend and was getting a little misty-eyed about it. I was thinking about how I hate hearing those sad stories about people who once made plans and something happened and they never got to go/do wherever/whatever. I decided that I was going to change what (up to this point at least) was starting to sound like one of those stories.

So, my dad and I are taking a trip next September to Yosemite National Park to do a volunteering vacation through the REI Adventures. Neither of us have been to Yosemite before and I am excited to check it out together. I realize that to some people doing manual labor and tenting sound nothing like a vacation, but for my dad and I, it will be perfect. Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Sounds like you had some great camps! My parents did the same, would take us on seperate adventures sometimes. So special!
    Cheers,
    Messy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) Sounds like an awesome trip! Yosemite is indescribable. The wilderness of northern California was the reason The Road to Hana didn't blow my mind. B) 1992 Jenn!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am as equally excited about this trip as I was getting contacts in the 8th grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I hope you guys have a great time! I recall being younger and my dad taking my sister and I camping, even weekend mountain trips, too. It was fun. We stopped doing it when we became teenagers. It was just one of those things, I don't know. Maybe we should go again! It seems like it'd be fun now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, We made some wonderful memories together. I know you fondly remember when you and I camped in the rain and the tent was down on top of us. I don't remember why we didn't set it up but, maybe it was because we got to the camp site late in the evening and could not see. We did go to McDonald's in the morning to get warm and some breakfast. I am looking so forward to spending the week with you in the outdoors and making new memories. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Amber, I am sure we will. Maybe you can have your own camping come-back!

    Dad, I loved all of those times together, although at the time I remember not always being the best camper - those Snickers bars were a good motivator. I remember the trip that we pitched our tent on an incline and kept slipping to the bottom in our sleeping bags.

    ReplyDelete