Thursday, November 17, 2011

Holiday Help

We have an over abundance of chain stores (and restaurants for that matter) in the Midwest, maybe everywhere. I try to balance this out by finding local gems and being flexible about when I shop. I realize it isn't always convenient to shop inside the hours of 9am and 5pm, but most independent shop owners are the only staff and they can't work all the time - however, some stay open later near the holidays. To work around the hours I plan a lunch break dash, combine a trip with a doctor's appointment or sometimes ask someone to put something aside for me to pick up right before closing.

In preparation for the holidays coming up way too soon, I'd like to bring you a holiday shopping guide. I've included some in-person and online options for KC businesses - that way you won't feel left out if you aren't going to be in Kansas City any time soon. Enjoy!
Love these prints for your wall - or you can get them in card sizes too.
Hammerpress ~ This store, located on Southwest Boulevard in downtown KC, is also a working letterpress shop. I went in there yesterday to pick up some new thank you notes and a card for a friend and left with those and some Japanese Washi tape and the cutest driftwood magnet for my cubicle at work. They have great gifts for most everyone on your list - the hard part is not buying too much for yourself. 

L to R: Dark Chocolate, Whiskey Walnut, Mango Ginger
Christoper Elbow ~ Who doesn't love to receive chocolate as a gift? I usually buy my chocolate gifts from Christoper Elbow at The Roasterie Cafe or GlacĂ©, but I included the link in case you wanted to buy some tiny edible art from anywhere. 

Love this Desert Falcon Necklace
Scarlett Garnet ~ In need of jewelry that is beautiful and affordable? You have to check out Scarlett Garnet. You can shop online or you can check out their cute boutique in downtown KC, on 18th Street in the Crossroads.

A Thyme for Everything ~ This gourmet food shop in downtown Lee's Summit is chock full of yummy foods, spices, pastas and all of the tools you need to cook them. They offer classes with local chefs - a gift certificate to one of those would make an excellent gift.

Doherty & Sullivans ~ Also, in downtown Lee's Summit, this Irish goods store has the most beautiful dishes (not pictured on their website), clothing and jewelry straight from Ireland. They also carry some European groceries, home decor items and in the past, have held Irish Gaelic language classes in the store.
Three Dog Bakery ~ For those of you with pets in your life who might deserve a treat, I love the Three Dog Bakery. It's set up like a regular bakery only with offerings for your four-legged friends. You can even have your pet's name put on little bones and cakes - if your pet is into that sort of thing.
Love this map of San Francisco.
Best Made Company ~ Okay, this isn't local to Kansas City but I recently discovered this New York site and I can't get enough of it. From their vintage extension cords to their amazingly beautiful, useful axes - their style is incredible.

I could go on and on, but that's a good start. Where will you be shopping for the holidays?

3 comments:

  1. The Christopher Elbow chocolate blend coffee from The Roasterie is wonderful. A bag of that with some Christopher Elbow chocolates makes a wonderful gift. Now I want some. I see a trip to The Roasterie in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn-
    These are wonderful suggestions. I will be sure to check these out next time we're in KC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would love to have you at Fashionista Exchange & Boutique! :)

    ReplyDelete