Monday, November 7, 2011

Fed Fun

On Friday my Economics class spent the day at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. (As some of you may already know from reading my profile, I am a big econ nerd and I love learning about things like monetary policy, fun!) Anyway, as part of our day there we got to visit the Money Museum, see inside the vault of money, watch people counting money and money getting shredded (which gets recycled in a number of ways - one of which is this cute little sack of money to the left that in total is about $165, and they give them away for free.) We also got to watch an hour-long video on the history of the 12 Federal Reserve Banks - I am no history buff but I found this video gripping (again, I am a nerd).

The only downside to the day was that since we were hearing talks from some pretty important people at the bank throughout the day, we had to dress up. Dressing up to me sort of carries with it some notion of needing to act more grown-up, so it was with some hesitation that I partook in the art project in the museum clearly designed for the younger visitors. I am glad I did though, I think it broke the ice with some of my new, professional, classmate friends. Any of you that live near, or plan to make a visit to a city with a Federal Reserve Bank, should check one out. Even if you're not a nerd, I think you might like what you find.

My handmade Buffalo bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment