Thursday, September 29, 2011

Best of Key West

We packed so much fun into one day that I may need to make it two separate posts - I guess we'll see...
Key West is the end of the line for Route 1 - which runs from here to Maine. This was my first time to this end.
Our next stop of the day was the Hemingway House. We took the guided tour and got to see where Ernest Hemingway did the majority of his writing, in the upstairs room of the carriage house (pictured on the left, I am pretty sure I would write prolifically if I had such a beautiful setting too). Hemingway also had many six-toed cats on the property that he loved. Today there are 44 descendants living on the property, many of them occupying the house pictured on the right (an exact replica of the main home).
We next stopped at the Harry S. Truman Little White House. This was all the more exciting for me considering that we have the Truman Library in Kansas City. Apparently, and rightly so, Truman preferred Key West to Washington, D.C. and spent winters at his other "White House". We had so many other things to see that we didn't go on the tour but I bet it would've been cool!
After that we headed to the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum to learn all about the discovery of the wreckage of the Atocha, a ship bound for Spain from Havana in 1622. The bottom floor of the museum was devoted to that exhibit - note the 78 carat emerald in the top right corner, gold bars and ornate necklace/belt - beautiful! The second floor was devoted to pirates, an English merchant-slaver ship - the Henrietta Marie which sank in 1700 and finally some small displays about Liberia and the American Colonization Society. It was an incredible museum that I would highly recommend. There was also a discount pass available for this museum and the Hemingway House for $23.
Okay, seriously, at this point in the day we were just about to have lunch, so I will stop for now and fill you in on the rest of the day tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. I am beyond jealous that you got to go to the Atocha museum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Alicia, you need to go sometime - you guys would love Key West. There is so much history to be had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While searching for cool Stuff about Key West, i found your blog. Cool! Looks like you have a lot of fun on your trips :-). I have a Blog on my own, unfortunately it's only in german. But you can have a look at my pics :-) www.beautiful-places.jimdo.com

    Very nice Greetings from Switzerland
    Sandra

    P.S. We're travelling to Florida soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandra, thanks for your note. I will definitely check out your blog. I hope you have a great time in Florida!

    ReplyDelete