Thursday, September 1, 2011

Backyard Roadtrip - Take 1

Sometimes when I am not able to go very far, I like to be a tourist in places close to home. I hadn't been up to see where my in-laws had recently moved, so I decided to make a trip of it. I will bring it to you in two parts, first up Hamilton, MO, where the in-laws live now, and north to Jamesport, MO where we spent rest of the afternoon. (Tomorrow I will be highlighting the stops along the way up and back.)

Hamilton, MO - Known for being A.) Home of the Missouri Star Quilt Company and a giant quilting machine (pictured) - and even though I don't even know how to quilt I found it quite lovely. I thought if I did ever pick up quilting I would select the pirate patterns and prints, too cute! B.) A location with one restaurant, other than a Subway, called Past Times. The fried cheese balls with ranch dressing were delicious! C.) The birthplace of J.C. Penney, and home of a museum bearing his name. The likeness of him, pictured above, scared me a little when we walked in. I liked the book pictured - Business Training Course. I wonder if I could sub that in for grad school?
The signs of Jamesport and a calf.
Our adventures in Jamesport, MO included walking around town checking out the antiques stores, an herbal remedies shop, a bakery and the Wholly Cow custard and fudge shop (best peanut butter/chocolate fudge I've ever had). Jamesport is home to the largest Amish population in Missouri so there were lots of buggies in town (hence the "no hitching" sign) and beautiful furniture for purchase.

We also drove a little farther north, and checked out a dairy farm where we met the calf (pictured) and sampled the local cheeses. The turn off to the cheese farm was at the corner of the third sign above. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself, that's what it was.) I bought some Jalapeno cheese to bring home to Brian. In all it was a pretty fun day even despite the temperature in the 100's. Thanks for checking in!

5 comments:

  1. Great photos Pretty Lady!!! Personally my favorite is the FU! hahahahahaha
    Cheers,
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to know why they felt the need to put "no" in quotation marks. Who said "no"? Or perhaps they only mean "no" in some sort of non-literal way....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Shelley! I liked the FU one too, I wondered if the sign putter-uppers put two and two together on that when they did it.

    Alicia, I thought that was weird too, like maybe we say no hitching but we mean do whatever you'd like, we're just trying to follow the letter of the law here by posting this sign up. Heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been searching for day trips from Kansas City and these look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMS - glad you like them! You should check out the Day Trips from Kansas City book as well, I just like to add some new ones to their mix too.

    ReplyDelete