Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Traveling Twitter

Many of my favorite bloggers and magazines have done posts and articles on their favorite blogs which I have thoroughly enjoyed. They got me thinking about where else I gather my news, tips and ideas about travel and I thought about my favorite Twitter accounts to follow. If you have been reading this blog for awhile you may remember that I only recently started using Twitter, having resisted for awhile. Since making the addition of this social media to my life I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I like it.

I have found out about news way before I would've before, got a free book, found out about concerts and events and have been able to interact with new and interesting people. I am still learning but so far it has not disappointed, especially for travel. Here are some of my favorite handles to follow:
  • @airbnb - Their tweets are mostly about new properties that you can stay at but they are always out of the ordinary and amazing - a luxury houseboat that gets towed to different places on a river in Thailand anyone?
  • @budgettravel - I love their magazine, so it's not a huge surprise that I like their tweets. However, they post many of their Real Deals (awesome budget friendly vacation packages to exotic locales) and make me want to get away almost everyday.
  • @lonelyplanet - Like their paperback travel guides, Lonely Planet gives readers the off-the-beaten path kind of travel insight that I love. Their Twitter feed takes their advice to another level by giving followers great links to travel blogs, travel trends and news.
  • @frugaltraveler - The Frugal Traveler from the New York Times is one of my favorite travel blogs, his Twitter feed brings his trips to life in real time, includes anecdotes not always reported on the blog and alerts me to new posts. 
  • @visitkc - I like knowing what is going on around town and this account yields a wide variety of fun, local events for me to check out.
Who do you follow for travel-related goodness on Twitter? I'm always looking for new and thoughtful content. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. i have twitter and follow lots and have followers but i really haven't figured the darn thing out yet. well I should say I haven't spent the time trying but more and more people are doing it so I am slowing being dragged in.

    ReplyDelete