Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Driving Texas - Day 1

So yesterday my friends Matt and Brandon and I drove from Kansas City to Dallas, TX on our way to El Paso/Anapra for our border meetings. It was a pretty uneventful drive - punctuated by me reading my accounting textbook and us listening to Tina Fey's Bossypants (a book you should check out) - not at the same time, of course. We stopped for lunch at a local burger joint outside of Tulsa called Arnold's. There was a problem with the translation between a grilled cheese vs. a cheeseburger and I ended up eating onion rings and a cherry limeade for lunch - definitely not one of my finest meals. (In Arnold's defense, the lady was apologetic about the mixup and offered me my money back or a takeout box full of veggies instead.)

We met up with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law in Dallas for dinner and a night's sleep. We dined at the Twisted Root Burger Co. - home of the best burger in Texas.

I had the black bean burger Chipotle, Guac and Cheddar style with sweet potato chips. Delish, but probably the second bad meal too many for one day. Very thankful for an iron stomach.
We have another long day of driving ahead of us today, 10 hours and 34 minutes to be exact, but I am excited to be driving across a different part of Texas (I've done the panhandle before, through Amarillo). Speaking of past roadtrip endeavors, this current trip will only rank fifth overall for longest roadtrips I've been on. In order:

5.) This trip (Kansas City to El Paso, TX)
4.) Kansas City to Endwell, NY (for a friend's wedding)
3.) Rochester, NY to Kansas City (for me to meet Brian's parents over spring break when we were dating)
2.) Riverside, CA to Kansas City (moving six months after getting to Riverside)
1.) South Portland, ME to Riverside, CA (yeah, all the way across the country and bonus - like in trip #2 - driving a moving truck towing a minivan! We figured that during this trip our three week old marriage would be made or broken, we are fortunate it was the former.)

Thanks for checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment