Sunday, August 7, 2011

Best of Bangor

Growing up in South Portland, ME I never spent a lot of time in Bangor (a two hour drive away). All I really knew about it was that it housed the "other" airport and the "other" mall in Maine. (Yes, you read that correctly, as the other of each are in South Portland.) I had been there over the years to pass through or to play state championships of tennis or run track. So, when Brian and I found out we'd be staying for an afternoon and an evening before our super early morning flight, I was excited to have a little more time to explore the "other" big city in Maine.

Our first stop, with Brian's family still in tow, was to Friars' Bakehouse where the "Best Whoopie Pie in Maine" can be had. The Franciscan monks did not disappoint.
We then dropped off our bags at our Airbnb.com apartment (more on that tomorrow) and walked downtown for some lunch (yes, on vacation we do dessert first). We had a nice lunch, right out of Italy, at Giacomo's.
After lunch we walked around the shops downtown and came across the cutest store - Metropolitan Soul. The owner was very friendly and had some great items - I couldn't pass the two above up. In case you can't read the photos very well, the notebook says, "He offered her the world. She said she had her own." and the super comfy t-shirt says, "It has something to do with giving back, while moving forward." I think those were made for me.
There were lots of other great shops, restaurants and bars we walked past but didn't have time to visit properly. A couple in particular that we would like to try next time are:
  1. Nocturnem - a draft haus that features beers hard to find other places - there was a Japanese ginger infused pale ale that, had I not been too full from lunch, I would have loved to have sampled.
  2. Bangor Wine & Cheese - while we did go in, we were limited by our luggage when it came to actually buying much. We did buy some delicious Q ginger ale to share with our airbnb hostess though, it was delish!
  3. Bangor Outdoor Market - this outdoor gathering of vendors and live music on Thursdays runs for 10 weeks in the summer, we just missed it by about 12 hours.
  4. American Retro - to be honest, the weather was just too nice to go inside and look through clothes, but next time I'm here I will definitely be checking this place out.
Finally, we ended our day with dinner at The Fiddlehead Restaurant. It was everything a meal should be. Amazing food, drinks and service - all under one roof. In random order - 1.) My main course - a dill pollen dusted salmon filet (amazing flavor) 2.) Our shared dessert - a lemon tart with a blueberry coulis 3.) Brian enjoying his Foghorn (a mojito with ginger ale) 4.) The most amazing tomato bisque and an egg/pine-nut/honey salad 5.) A lemoncello margarita - so good, I had to have two

6 comments:

  1. It was, but I am pretty sure we ate more than one should in a 7 hour time span. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should have gone to the Rock & Art shop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I did, that was lovely too but I didn't take any pictures there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom-so glad the Friars didn't disappoint!! Did the other Beards like it too? What did Scott think of a real whoopie pie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Fiddlehead sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete