Thursday, July 7, 2011

Travel Agent Virgin: The Conclusion

As some of you may recall, part of this blog winner weekend included an experiment with using a travel agent, something I hadn't done before. In Part I and Part II we covered the initial meeting and the planning of our trip to Jamaica. I thought I might also share with you my thoughts about the whole process now, as we have completed our adventure.

The things I liked about using a travel agent were:
  • She helped us find an alternative to a cruise for our crazy schedules
  • We didn't have to bother with transportation or exit tax hassles as they were both included in our package
  • It was nice to have someone answer questions without a foreign phone call charge to the resort
  • Discount codes!
The things I didn't like:
  • I really had no idea what the resort would be like - I was pleasantly surprised that it was nice, clean and on the beach - but it was still weird to have someone pick something like this for me
  • I really enjoy checking on prices and figuring things out, but I didn't get to do any of that
  • It was a very impulsive transaction - I am not sure how long it is supposed to take from start to finish but booking this in about 4 hours total, planning everything to paying, seemed a little crazy
Overall, I think it was a good experience but I am not sure I would do it again, except for maybe some international group plane tickets. There is definitely a certain type of traveler who would benefit from this way of booking a vacation. So, if you like some help, take it, it's free!

4 comments:

  1. Jenn,

    Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience with us here at Ambassador Travel and definately your experiences in Jamaica.
    It looks like you had a great time, despite not doing a whole bunch of research prior to jumping feet first into booking your trip. I know you are an experienced traveler so maybe next time, you can do all the research and email me what you would like to do and I can see if I can find some sort of discount for you. (I promise not to talk you into something else) heehee.
    One more thing, on a personal note. If you ever decide to have kids and you have to be home more and travel less, might I suggest a career change to a travel agent?? You would be fantastic with all your travel knowledge!!
    Thank you sooo much for everything!

    Your Travel Agent,
    Casey Green
    www.ambassadortvl.com
    816-554-2300

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great idea Casey, I will definitely contact you in the future to talk travel plans. It was so helpful for you to redirect our ideas - we needed it. Thanks again for everything. We had a blast! I think it would be awesome to be a travel agent but I would want to put myself in everyone's suitcase! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I agree with you. Really this blog is very informative.

    ReplyDelete