Monday, July 25, 2011

Around Town

I haven't been home very much this summer and it seems like since I have been away, new and cool things keep cropping up that I need to find time to try. In case you are in Kansas City, or visiting soon, I thought I might pass some of them along to you so you could help me catch up on what is hip and happening in this fair city!
  1. Food Truck Gatherings - I am so excited that we are following the likes of San Francisco and New York City and are finally getting some food trucks! From cupcakes to coffee to crepes - you can have it all. I have missed all the summer First Fridays so I haven't been to the Food Truck Fests happening during those but you can check out the upcoming fests
  2. Greater Kansas City Bartending Competition - taking place on Sunday, August 21st at the Uptown Theater. Twelve of the best bartenders around will be competing for bragging rights in a "food network" style competition. There will also be snacks, drinks, live music and samples of new products on the market. Should be fun!
  3. The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts - This beautiful new building will be opening mid-September with Placido Domingo, Itzhak Perlman and Diana Krall - all in one weekend! While my budget doesn't allow for me to partake in that, I do hope to make it to something there soon. Unfortunately at the moment, you have to visit all of the individual websites of the KC Ballet, the Lyric Opera, the KC Symphony and Theater League to see schedules and tickets.
  4. Schlitterbahn - I haven't been to a water-park in years and I realize that my window of opportunity is probably closing fast for the season, I want to get out there. (This park opened partially last summer, but I think it's all open now.)
  5. Food & Craft Cocktails - (I'm sure you knew I'd sneak in some more food on my list.) In a recent search for the best craft cocktails (can't get enough), I came up with several amazing places that I am dying to try. We actually tried one on Saturday night (see below) called R Bar. The other ones I want to check out are Justus Drugstore (way up in Smithville - perfect time to use our B&B gift certificate!), The Reiger Hotel (in the space where 1924 Main used to be) and Manifesto (a speakeasy that I want to take some dear friends to before they move away for a year).
  6. Shopping - I am doing a pretty good job with my no-buying year, except for a few times here and there. In order to curb the urge, I avoid walking around any of "the Plazas". Although, I have heard a few things and I am excited, at some point, to check out the new Anthropologie store in Town Center Plaza (opening 8/12) and the newly moved and remodeled Standard Style Boutique in the One Nineteen retail area (opening this week).
And finally, the one thing I can check off my list was dining at the R Bar on Saturday night, complete with fantastic live music from the Konza Swamp Band
The strawberry tiramisu was amazingly delicious, homemade lady fingers and everything.
The rest of the meal and the cocktails were great too, they even had absinthe and ginger beer based libations - yummy! I fear I've run on long enough, thanks for checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment