Sunday, June 26, 2011

Vortex Yoga

I had mentioned a couple of posts ago that I wanted to try vortex yoga on our trip to Sedona. In order to have a fair comparison of standard vs. vortex, I joined in on the standard morning class offered at our resort to start off the day. The instructor, Yogi Blair (yeah, that's how he introduced himself), led us through some nice series of stretches and leg strengtheners. He also added in a few extra poses - snake and dragon, which I hadn't done before and were more like tai chi. The class was outside in the grass and was a nice way to start the day.

In an effort to try vortex yoga, I had to first find a vortex. I found a helpful map that gave information about where to find the four main energy vortexes in Sedona. The best hint given was that vortexes tend to be near twisted Juniper, seen here.
The vortex we selected, which was near the Sedona airport, was a masculine energy vortex. This meant a couple of things including the energy spot would help connect you to the energy that helped you decide what you desire in life. It was very windy and the ground was uneven, so I confess that I did not repeat my workout from the morning and it probably is not a fair comparison. However, it was an amazing view of all the canyons in the area, the sun was bright and shiny, so I think it gave me an energy boost.
We had spotted a bald eagle earlier in the day when we were on our train ride, more on that tomorrow, so this it my homage to Mr. Bald Eagle - half of the eagle pair of Black & Decker (names they were apparently given by a dude).
We hiked the rest of the way up the hill to see the rest of the view. It got even windier and we saw the guy below trying his hand at channeling the vortex - he was close to the edge, braver than me. In all, I think it was a place where a lot of weather, wind and earth forces collided and would make for a great place for a full yoga workout and I think I'll try that next time.


Brian Beard had no comment about the yoga, vortexes or anything else that he wanted to share but he does look handsomer at the top of a mountain.

2 comments:

  1. I love yoga, but it almost looks like you're doing a pee-pee dance in the second picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, yes, that's true. I didn't really have the proper outfit on to look graceful. :)

    ReplyDelete