Saturday, June 4, 2011

How I Roll

You know that Friends episode where neat-freak Monica is outed as having a ridiculously messy closet she keeps trying to get the rest of the "Friends" not to open? Well, I have one of those too - my suitcase/bag closet under our basement stairs. In all fairness to me, two of the bags are technically Brian's. I think it's important to have the "correct" bag for the trip you are taking. There are camping/hiking bags, overnight-I-don't-want-to-check-a-bag bags, three/four/seven day bags, etc. It may be a little excessive but I can't ever complain that I don't have what I need, right?

Stacked in order of usage.
If you have ever read a travel advice column, website or magazine article, you have probably read about amazing luggage reviews from the pros. I like reading them, but I am never going to spend more than $100 on a suitcase or bag (okay, purses don't count here). The way luggage gets abused in the travel process leads me to the conclusion that the cheaper I can get good quality luggage, the better. I have had every zipper toggle but one broken off of my standard bag (see light green suitcase above) - which drives me nuts - but I bring safety pins and bread ties which I can make into a temporary zipper pull. (Oh, so that's why some of my college friends likened me to MacGyver!)

I buy most of my luggage at T.J. Maxx, which works out pretty well, as it's brand name but cheaper. I have also purchased last season's (I know, I can't tell the seasons apart either) luggage online but I've been disappointed with the quality that has shown up on my doorstep, so I try to avoid that if I can. I once tried to buy a suitcase for Brian for Christmas and thought I was being smart to ship it to my parent's house in Maine so we could have it to put gifts in to bring home. The frame was immediately bent out of shape as soon as Brian tried to lift the thing off the floor with stuff in it. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for checking in!

P.S. The drawing for the SMASH journal was held this morning in my pjs with random.org and has yielded my lovely sister-in-law as the winner, yay Sarah!!!

4 comments:

  1. I always buy luggage at TJ Maxx too. And we have the exact same storage place for our luggage. My husband thinks our collection is getting a bit out of control, I think it's just getting more well-rounded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of disagree. I bought my small bag from Mountainsmith and they have a lifetime warranty on every part of it. I had one of my straps fray, I dropped it off at their Boulder location and I had a brand new one mailed to me in a week, free of charge. I mean, the full luggage bag is almost $200 bucks, but when it gets replaced for anything = win. http://j.mp/iRpilF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip Derrick, I'll check them out if I'm ever in the market to replace one of my bags!

    ReplyDelete