Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Slow Rewind

Our Azafady team.
It's hard to believe that a year ago I was camping out in the bush of Madagascar. It seems like only yesterday that I was waking up to the clang of a spoon on the pot of breakfast rice. Days filled with cultural discoveries (both African and British), beautiful sunsets and projects that would hopefully leave a lasting impact. So much has transpired since then - for me and the country. The presidential elections that were supposed to have taken place last year are now set for May 5th - hopefully they will happen. I have kept in touch with some of my travel mates over the past year but haven't heard much about the village we lived in. I hope everyone is doing well.

As I look back on events, adventures, conferences, etc. that I have been part of recently, I keep coming back to this idea that I wish I had a magical device to help me process them. My device would allow me to see the whole experience, take out the important lessons that I need to hold onto and file them away neatly in my brain to be called upon in the future when needed. I realize that this doesn't exist and that life is just messy and sometimes you don't get to know what mattered until much later on. Either way I hope it's true that you can continue to grow brain neurons by having new experiences because I plan on having a few hundred more. Cheers!

Jana took this amazing photo on a walk back to camp.

4 comments:

  1. Aw that's so nice Jenn! :')

    I wish I were still back in Sainte Luce, to be honest... I also hope everything back there is well (and that those damn elections would take place already!)

    Hope you're doing well and keep up the good work, I presume you are as busy and active as ever! (I read bits of the blog sometimes, you're a very entertaining writer :) )

    take care sick-buddy!

    Xaali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Xaali, good to hear from you. I watch your comments on FB, so I know you've been longing to go back to St. Luce. Hopefully you'll get to go soon! I hope school is going well and that your family is doing well too. Take care and thanks for checking out the blog!

    ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello there

    i cant believe its been a year already!!!

    i have rss your blog so i check it everyday keep up the good work :)

    jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it, time really flies! I was just thinking about you and Nasser the other day and how much fun it would be to visit you in Kuwait. I think that adventure would make a nice addition to the blog. :) Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete