Saturday, April 23, 2011

Move Me

I love movies. I love to travel. So, naturally, I love movies that inspire me to travel somewhere. Having a film school graduate in the house, my husband, also makes for a wide variety of films that we see that depict all kinds of wonderful places to visit. I'd like to share a few of my favorites with you. (In all cases I think the movie and the location are worth checking out, although I haven't made it to all of them yet.)

Movie:  Under the Tuscan Sun  Location Highlighted:  Tuscany  Been there yet?:  Yes  Summary:  If you have seen this movie (about a woman who is trying to find herself and move on from a divorce, or something) you know how beautiful the Tuscan country-side and the warmth of the people are depicted in the movie. I saw this movie way before I had the chance to actually go there, but when Brian's family reunion was scheduled for there a few years back I was so excited to see this movie's setting for myself. It did not disappoint.
Movie: Whale Rider  Location Highlighted:  New Zealand  Been there yet?:  No  Summary: This is one of my favorite movies - visually speaking. The plot is good too - "A contemporary story of love, rejection and triumph as a young Maori girl fights to fulfill a destiny her grandfather refuses to recognize." (from IMDb) We briefly discussed going to New Zealand for our 10 year anniversary but we couldn't pull it off with me going back to school. I think it will make an excellent graduation present though!
Movie:  March of the Penguins Location Highlighted:  Antarctica  Been there yet?:  No  Summary: This Academy Award winning film from National Geographic is stunning. The lives of emperor penguins are seen up close and in detail like never before. In my quest to visit all seven continents, I will one day visit here. I found an incredibly awesome, fantastically expensive cruise online once that took you to several places on the continent. I guess when I get to the point where $50,000 for two people is do-able I will book it.
Movie:  Invictus  Location Highlighted:  South Africa  Been there yet?:  Sort of  Summary:  "Nelson Mandela, in his first term as the South African President,  initiates a unique venture to unite the apartheid-torn land: enlist the  national rugby team on a mission to win the 1995 Rugby World Cup." (from IMDb) I played rugby in college so I think that, coupled with the fact that Matt Damon was in it, was what drew me to the movie initially. I was also drawn to learn more about the aftermath of apartheid. The scenery was great and I got to see it right before I got stranded there for two days waiting for my flights to get sorted out after my trip to Madagascar. I definitely want to go back again and actually see it properly.
Movie:  Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil  Location Highlighted:  Savannah, GA  Been there yet?:  Yes  Summary:  This movie has been around awhile (1997) but it's still worth checking out. The first time I saw it I had never really been to "the South" much - maybe just Florida. I remember thinking that moss and vines must just be all over the place. When Brian finished his master's degree I planned a trip to Savannah and Charleston. We stopped at a bunch of the places in the film and I felt the movie all around.
Movie:  The World's Fastest Indian  Location Highlighted:  Bonneville Salt Flats (Utah)  Been there yet?:  No  Summary:  First off, I will say this this movie is one of my favorites, but when Brian got it on Netflix originally I resisted. I thought it sounded kind of dumb - I was wrong (I can admit that every once in awhile). So the movie follows the true story of an older guy trying to break a land-speed record on his motorcycle at a race at the Bonneville Salt Flats. He comes from New Zealand (which is also shown) but I had never really seen anything like the Salt Flats before. I am not sure how cool they are to just look at, since it's lot of wide open space, but someday I am going to find out.
What movie inspired you to go somewhere? Thanks for checking in!

3 comments:

  1. We just got back from African Cats.....gorgeous scenery and amazing footage follows a lion pride and a cheetah and her cubs as they struggle to survive in Kenya.

    The boys are still trying to recover from the fact that the "dad" just left his family never to be seen again and "let" the other male lion take over his pride. "Wimp!" they say. "He should have stayed and fought for his family."

    From my perspective it was rather disturbing how quickly the gals "took up" with the new leader and began raising his cubs, deserting the cubs of the lost leader in the process.

    Ah, nature...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene, Brian is dying to see that. Hopefully we'll get to soon. A Kenyan safari would be an amazing trip! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was worth the $5 we spent (early showing), we all enjoyed it.

    and a kenyan safari would be nice, it would be incredible to see that kind of wild life.

    Yes, see you soon-

    Irene

    ReplyDelete