Monday, January 10, 2011

Pinch Me, It's A Small World

I was talking to a very nice woman in the admissions department of the Executive MBA program at UMKC this morning. We were talking about the program there and how it would be a good fit for me and my future career goals, etc. She then asked me if I had ever heard of an organization that she knew would interest me (based on our conversation) and I said that I had heard of it and had been trying to reach them as I had been reading a lot about their work and wanted to know more. This international non-profit is amazing and it's headquartered here in Kansas City.

I had talked to someone else recently who advised me that if I ever wanted to get serious about working internationally that I needed to move to NYC, D.C. or San Francisco. As a military brat, I have always wanted to live in the same house for a long time - or forever and leave in a body bag, as I told one Realtor who inquired how soon we might like to sell, maybe a little extreme, but you get the idea. Not easily discouraged, I continue to look for ways to pursue this dream.

Back to this morning, the woman from UMKC not only talked to me about this organization but offered to set up a lunch with a woman that she knows that works there and e-mailed me some dates later in the day. So great! I was feeling very fortunate to have had the conversation and I feel very blessed to have opportunities like this in my life. Maybe I am getting old and sentimental, but as I reflect on all the things to come this year I am really, really excited.

For me 2011 includes the following:
  1. Celebrating 10 years of marriage to my best friend in July. (And going to a place I've wanted to take him for the past 10 years!)
  2. Going back to Africa in February.
  3. Attending SXSW Interactive in Austin, TX in March.
  4. Spending a week in Grand Lake Stream, Maine with my parents, Brian's parents and assorted other friends and family in July.
  5. (tentative) Starting grad school in August, details of what and where located in this post.
  6. Embracing my new role as Vice President of Affiliate Operations at work, which happened January 1st.
  7. Attending a week of intense, strategic leadership fun at the Center for Creative Leadership in Colorado in Jan/Feb.
  8. Putting on a special fundraiser for Liberia with some great friends/artists from Rochester in the fall. Details to come and volunteers needed!
  9. My second blog reader contest - lots of possible ideas in my head at the moment - so keep following along.
  10. And much more!
P.S. I didn't name the organization discussed above by name, as to avoid having this post appear on their RSS feed and have them think I am some kind of crazy stalker.

P.P.S. Check out what is going on in the Cote d’Ivoire and a little about Liberia through Charity: water's blog post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment