Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Moving Forward

Photo from the film.
 My vacation last week was very helpful in preparing for my trip to Liberia. I still have a long way to go and a very busy five weeks ahead of me. I worked on my Liberian research - read This Child Will Be Great which was so good and complete, watched "Pray The Devil Back to Hell" about the courageous women who staged peaceful demonstrations to end the war and checked out the news of Liberia and neighboring Cote d'Ivoire who is sending refugees into Liberia at the rate of 400-600 people a day as their prime minister refuses to back down under pressure from the rest of West Africa. I still need to watch the documentary "Liberia: An Uncivil War" which is next on my Netflix queue.
Photo from the film.
I also had more shots (flu and polio - which apparently is making a comeback, boo!), got a prescription for Malarone and started digging out my insecticide treated safari gear. I should probably figure out what else I am supposed to be bringing and need to order some more of the crazy good Avon insecticide that kept me malaria free in Madagascar. I did find out that I don't need to bring a tent, bonus! We have a dinner in a couple of weeks with the three of us who are going and our husbands, Kathi's parents (who were missionaries in Liberia), some other friends and some local Kansas Citians from Liberia. I am really looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment