Saturday, October 30, 2010

Travel Toys

I used to read this magazine that always had an article from a jet-setter with all their favorite tech toys of the moment and their wishlist for other items they wanted. I always liked reading it and comparing to see if I had any of the of-the-moment items, which I usually didn't, but it was still fun. In thinking about those articles I thought I would do my own tribute with my own favs. Here are my lists:

My favorite travel items:
My iPod Nano 4 (16 GB) - I never leave home without it! It's chock full of music, t.v. shows and NPR and 60 minutes podcasts.
Ultimate Ears 700 - noise reducing headphones, great for drowning out screaming kids on a plane.
No vacuum required Space Bags for dirty (or clean) clothes - depending on which I have less of. (I realize this has nothing to do with actual technology but they are awesome enough to make my list.)
Griffin TuneJuice iPod charger - because you never want to have to hunt for an outlet in one of those unfortunate airports who put switch-plate covers over all the spots to plug in!
Cabela's Alaskan Guide LED Flashlight - this flashlight is small and very powerful and has white and blue light!
Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS Digital ELPH 14.1 MP Camera - okay, so maybe I bought it originally because it was orange but it is actually really awesome. Small, takes great photos and videos and has a pretty easy to use interface although I haven't figured it all out yet...
My Wishlist:

USB + AA battery solar charger - would come in handy in Africa especially, no need to drag along plug adapters and this one apparently charges up in the sun, stores the charge and lets you plug in later.
SteriPEN Classic Handheld Water Purifier - Destroys viruses, bacteria and protozoa--including Giardia and Cryptosporidium--using ultraviolet (UV) light for 60 to 90 seconds. So cool! No need to drink water with chlorine tablets no matter where you may roam.
Outdoor Products 3-Pack Ultimate Dry Sack - one of my trip leaders in Madagascar had these and they came in handy on many occasions. I have some plastic dry bags but these are waterproof nylon and are very easy to store.
iPad - I am not entirely sure I want this but it seems cool. I have used a couple and it would be so nice to be able to get work done on the road without my whole laptop coming along. I could use it for books too! (And the best thing about a wishlist is that you don't have to get it all, right?)
There you have it! My little list of likes, hope you enjoyed!

2 comments:

  1. Jenn,

    Glad you to see Space Bag on your list of travel must-haves. Just dropping by to let you know about Space Bag's online community, Space Savers, which is dedicated to getting organized and saving space. We'd love to hear how you use Space Bag to travel, plus we have user stories as well as special offers to members. Just stop by www.SpaceSaversCommunity.com and use the 'contact us' form if you need to get in touch.

    Best,
    Space Savers community correspondent

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don’t need to pack as many toys as you think you do. It is incredible to me how many toys many children in the US own. This is not normal for most of the world.

    ReplyDelete