Sunday, May 9, 2010

Adjustments

I am getting back to normal. My sleep schedule is still a little out of whack; I have never accomplished anything before work besides this past week. I have finished my malarial meds so my dreams are starting to calm down. I am sure I will stop waking up before my alarm goes off soon.

I have enjoyed sharing stories with those of you I have seen and hope to see some of the rest of you soon. In the meantime, I have been posting photos by topic on Facebook so as to not overwhelm myself with trying to put everything up at once. I am realizing, now that I've been home for a week, that I had a really great time. There were moments along the way when I wasn't quite sure what I thought, but I have moved past thinking about the difficulty of the day-to-day living and moved onto the beauty of the country, the remoteness, the struggle of the people and the opportunity I had to be part of it all.

People have asked if I plan on going back. I'm not really sure what to say to that. It's not that I wouldn't go back, I had a great (if not interesting time), but I have so many other places I want to visit in the future. The sad reality of Madagascar is that many of the places I was in may not even be there much longer. The current research and plans for mining ilmenite (a whitening agent) threatens the forest, the animals, the way of life for the people (fishing and farming) and other possible unknown effects.

If you bear with me I plan on sharing a few stories and then I will move on to whatever adventure lies around the corner, we'll see. I guess if you keep reading, I'll keep writing. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment