Friday, March 19, 2010

Sabbatical

Last night was my last music team rehearsal at church before I go. I have been on the team for nine years and have sung pretty much every Sunday that I have been in town for over that time. My friend, Chris, pointed out that I will be missing six Sundays while I am gone. It got me to thinking about the other things I will miss while I am away and that things will go on without me.

I started planning this trip, where I would be far away and disconnected from everything I know, in order to have a break from the work I love. I feel at times that I could be more effective there if I had a chance to re-charge myself and get back in touch with why I do what I do in the first place. As I got further into the process I realized that I will really be reflecting on my whole life, not just the professional part. It's a little scary.

I have a journal (so cliche, isn't it) to bring and maybe I will use it for more than a daily log but I might not. I just want this trip to be what it needs to be. No forced agenda, no goals, heck, I might not even wear a watch.

1 comment: