Sunday, January 17, 2010

Thanks!

I got a letter this week in the mail asking for support for one of our friend's 7 year old daughter to go to China with her mom on a missions trip in July. Reading it and considering our contribution was one of those exciting experiences that transported me back to July 1993 when my Aunt Linda and Uncle Gary sent me on a journey to Thailand for my 14th birthday present. They were living there for work and I flew alone to visit them for three weeks. 

To this day I can honestly say this was the most significant gift I have ever received (besides life of course Mom and Dad and the gift of grace but you get the idea). No other single experience has had as much impact on my life, career and passions than this trip. It's been almost 17 years, yikes, but I remember so many things about the wonders of traveling abroad for the first time, seeing how people on the other side of the world from me lived and the realization that we are not all that different from each other. 

I have thought about saying it often so I will just do it here because I know my uncle is following: thank you L & G for one of the greatest gifts ever, it still means so much to me. I am going to pay it forward and help another little person discover what a wonderful world we live in!

1 comment:

  1. Getting that support letter was really meaningful to me, too. I can't believe someone I held the day after she was born is going on such a trip!

    ReplyDelete