Thursday, January 28, 2010

News Travel Slowly

As you know if you've been following along, I have been trying to keep up what is going on in Madagascar. The news coming out of the country are very delayed and I can often only find one or two stories. At a time when the political climate is in turmoil I am even more eager for news. What I have been able to find out this week is that the proposed March elections (which were suggested by Andry Rajoelina who took office by force last March) will not take place. There was a summit among delegates from the Southern African Development Community and they are calling for a return to constitutional order instead. Hmm, not sure how this will all play out.

I watched a video on Madagascar the other night and while the focus was on the eco-system I was a little surprised when they showed footage of the capital city. I expected it to be busy, crowded, noisy, etc. but it looked like a remote village with primitive roads, leaning shacks and lots of animal transportation. Sometimes it's interesting how civilized, industrialized and organized things are in places where you think they might not be. You could forget how far you are from home because you have access to the same things you might have there (supplies, transportation, internet cafes, etc.). Madagascar is definitely not looking like one of those countries where you would forget where you were.

In trip prep news, I had a negative TB test this week, got my prescription for antibiotics and sent in more money to Azafady for my deposit and my third form of trip insurance.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a cool adventure! My friend Marie may have experience in Madagascar. 'No Hurry in JC' on Blogspot.

    ReplyDelete