Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Things

I went to my first Ashtanga yoga class last night. It was a very different experience from the yoga I have practiced before. There was chanting and singing and harmonium playing. There were advanced students in the back of the room doing all kinds of intense poses I had never seen before while the rest of us tried our best to follow along. With a new instructor and a classroom full of strangers, I started thinking about new experiences in general. I love them and I would like to think of myself as the kind of person who would try most things at least once (with the exception of sky diving and bungee jumping maybe).

It's interesting to observe myself in these situations as I turn into a more reserved version of myself. I enjoy choosing what to do next or where to travel. However, if I am trying new things by force and not by choice I am highly resistant, my attitude is either bad or I just panic in general. Like today, trying to switch our e-mail providers at work and feeling like I had no idea what I was doing. This was something new to me but became stressful. Maybe this is just insight for me to have a better attitude about all things new, chosen or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment